French House first opened its doors in 1910, and it occupies a building that is a monument of architecture. This pub has been a scene for many historical events and has been frequented by many famous people. It is believed that here Charles de Gaulle wrote his "To all Frenchmen" speech in 1940 while living in London. Artists Francis Bacon and Lucian Freud, writers John Mortimer and Malcolm Lowry often came here for a drink as well as many others. There is an old tradition of serving beer by half-pints unlike all other British pubs. This custom is breeched only once a year, on April Fool's day.